Fehmarn Places of Interest
Churches

St. Nicholas Church Burg

St.Nikolai_kirche_burg
St.Nikolai_kirche_burg
This Gothic brick church was built between 1230 and 1250 and dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of seafarers and grain traders. Also noteworthy is the late-Gothic laterally divided winged shrine made of wood, the altar of St. Blaise with its canopy, and at the north side, a carving in the Dutch Baroque style depicting the "Madonna on the Crescent Moon". Also of significance is the bronze baptismal font that rests on the backs of three lions.
 
Burg – from Easter to October


www.st-nikolai-kirche-burg.de/

Tel.: 04371-2250

St. George's Chapel Burg

st.Juergen_Kapelle_burg
st.Juergen_Kapelle_burg
Protestant chapel is a Gothic brick building constructed on a foundation of loose boulders and with a pitched roof to which a cross is attached. It is situated approximately one kilometre south west of Burg town centre, in Kapellenweg 13.

St. John's Church Petersdorf

St.Johannis_kirche_petersdorf
St.Johannis_kirche_petersdorf
This church dates from the 13th century. Its 64-metre-high steeple was used as a daymark by ships on the Fehmarn Belt and Sound, as it is visible for up to 20 miles at sea. The church and adjacent cemetery are surrounded by 64 lime trees. The altar triptych dating from the 14th century is considered a masterpiece of Gothic carving skill. The oldest artefact is the font of Gotland limestone. The church also contains a particularly valuable 15th century altar shrine.
 
Petersdorf – from Easter to the end of October

www.kirche-petersdorf.de


Tel.: 04372-209

St. Peter's Church Landkirchen

St.Petri_kirche_landkirchen
St.Petri_kirche_landkirchen
The "Petrikirche" is a hall church with three naves that was built around 1230 on a small hill in Landkirchen. The brick "Petrikirche" building only features a small ridge turret. The wooden church tower that stands a few metres away was erected in 1638.
 
Landkirchen – from Easter to October

Tel.: 04371-6894

St. John's Church Bannesdorf

St.Joahhnis_kirche_bannesdorf
St.Joahhnis_kirche_bannesdorf
The stone building dates from the middle of the 13th century. The exact date of construction is unknown, however the church was first mentioned in the year 1359. The wooden bell tower dates from 1701.

Bannesdorf – from 1 May to Harvest Festival

Tel.: 04371-3341

St. Francis Xavier Church Burg

St.franziskus_kirche_katholisch_burg
St.franziskus_kirche_katholisch_burg
This Roman Catholic church was built in 1954/1955 and consecrated on December 3, 1955.

Burg - open all year

Tel.: 04371-2897

Peter and Paul Chapel, formerly at Puttgarden

peter_und_paul_puttgarden
peter_und_paul_puttgarden
The Peter and Paul Chapel was situated close to Puttgarden from 1198 to 1644. It was built on the instruction of the Danish King Knud VI. to satisfy a request by the Pope. Here in Puttgarden, the pilgrims who arrived from the Danish island of Lolland gave thanks to the Lord for their successful crossing. They would then place an offering of thanks in the oak offertory box or "Strand-block", which stood at the time on the strand outside the chapel. This strand block is currently housed in St. George's Chapel in Burg.

The Peter and Paul Chapel served as a place of pilgrimage for the inhabitants of Fehmarn until the Reformation. Today, a small refuge and bell tower on the way to Puttgarden strand recalls the former place of worship. A commemorative plaque informs pilgrims about the history of the Peter and Paul Chapel.
youtube
facebook